Bangladesh celebrates Victory Day, or Bijôe Dibôsh, on December 16th, for their victory in the Liberation War against West Pakistan in 1971.
In honor of the day, here are the top ten greatest Bengali Proverbs:
One’s harvest month is another’s complete devastation.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
A bully is always a cow.
Time flows along like the river’s current.
Half-truth is more dangerous than falsehood
A good beginning is half the battle.
As the act so the result.
Eyes are the mirror of the mind.
In greed there is sin; in sin there is death.
The boat of affection can overcome mountains.
Thank you for the wise words Bangladesh!
Interesting Bangladesh Facts:
- It is the 8th most populated country with 165 million people.
- Bangladesh means “land of Bengal”.
- The Bay of Bengal, is the largest bay in the world.
- Before becoming Bangladesh, it was part of East Pakistan, and before that, India.
- Almost half of its population are farmers.
What were your favorite Bengali proverbs?