Jean Paul Getty(December 15, 1892 – June 6, 1976) was an American industrialist, an avid art collector, and founded the Getty Oil Company. He was known to be the richest man in America during his lifetime- worth about $2 billion at the time. He donated $1.2 billion(worth $9 billion today) to the J. Paul Getty Museum, one of the richest museums in the world.
Here are the top 10 greatest Jean Paul Getty Quotes:
My formula for success is rise early, work late, and strike oil.
If you can count your money, you don’t have a billion dollars.
To succeed in business, to reach the top, an individual must know all it is possible to know about that business.
I would rather earn 1% of the effort of a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.
The key to wealth is to learn how to make money while you sleep.
If you owe the bank $100 that’s your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that’s the bank’s problem.
The #1 guideline to success is you must be in business for yourself. When you work for someone else, you sell your time at wholesale to your employer, who then re-sells it at retail to the customer.
In times of rapid change, experience could be your worst enemy.
If you look after the pennies, the dollars will look after themselves.
To become a billionaire, you need luck, knowledge, a great capacity to work and the main thing – the mentality of a billionaire.
Thank you Jean Paul Getty!
- He was a millionaire(worth ~$23 million today) by age 24.
- He married five times.
- He was frugal and stingy.
- His grandson was kidnapped for a $17 million ransom by the Italian mafia, but was later reduced it to $3 million since he refused to pay it.
- He agreed to pay no more than $2.2 million for the ransom, which was the maximum tax deductible amount, and loaned the rest of the ransom amount to his son with interest.
- The Getty museum is estimated to be worth about $7 billion and has 1.6 millions visitors every year.
What are some of your favorite J. Paul Getty facts or quotes?