Joan of Arc(January 6th, c. 1412 – May 30, 1431), aka Jeanne d’Arc, was a French heroine that drove out the English in Orléans during the Hundred Years War at the age of 18.
Here are Joan of Arc’s top ten greatest quotes:
All battles are first won or lost, in the mind.
I am not afraid; I was born to do this.
It is better to be alone with God. His friendship will not fail me, nor His counsel, nor His love. In His strength, I will dare and dare and dare until I die.
One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.
How else would God speak to me, if not through my imagination?
Act, and God will act.
If I be not in a state of grace, I pray God place me in it; if I be in it, I pray God keep me so.
I fear nothing for God is with me.
I die for speaking the language of the angels.
[Before being burned at the stake for her faith:] Hold the cross high so I may see it through the flames.
Thank you Joan of Arc!
Interesting Joan of Arc Facts:
- She was nicknamed The Maid of Orleans.
- To disguise herself as a male, she cut her hair short and dressed in men’s clothing.
- She heard voices and had visions she claimed were from God.
- Though he dressed as a courtier amongst the hundreds to fool Joan, she says her voices revealed to her who Charles VII was.
- She predicted her victory, her injury, the crowning of Charles VII, and of her capture and death one year after her victory.
What are some of your favorite Joan of Arc quotes?