Tennis is not only one of the most popular sports in the world, but it is also one of the most difficult to master. It currently has over a billion fans, and thousands of professional players, but only a few champions.
Here are the best quotes from the world’s greatest tennis players of all time:
There is no way around hard work. Embrace it. You have to put in the hours because there’s always something which you can improve.
Roger Federer, Switzerland, 99 Singles Titles, 20 Grand Slams
I am the only player who can beat me.
Rafael Nadal, Spain, 80 singles titles, 17 Grand Slams
We only have one life and one body to care of, and we better do it right. You never know what tomorrow may bring so we better live this life the best we can and be grateful for everything we have.
-Novak Djokovic, Serbia, 72 singles titles, 14 Grand Slams
The difference of great players is at a certain point in a match they raise their level of play and maintain it. Lesser players play great for a set, but then less.
Pete Sampras, USA, 64 singles titles, 14 Grand Slams
If you don’t practice, you don’t deserve to win.
Andre Agassi, USA, 60 singles titles, 8 Grand Slams
I hate to lose more than I love to win.
Jimmy Connors, 109 singles titles, 8 Grand Slams
I wanted to win, even in practice.
Bjorn Borg, Sweden, 64 singles titles, 11 Grand Slams
I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
Serena Williams, USA, 72 singles titles, 23 Grand Slams
You can’t measure success if you have never failed.
Steffi Graf, USA, 107 singles titles, 22 Grand Slams
I am not looking for perfection. I look for the best in me.
Martina Navratilova, 167 singles titles, 18 Grand Slams
- To win a Grand Slam, you must win four major tournaments: The Australian Open, The French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.
- Tennis originated in France in the 12th century.
- Tennis balls used to be white, until 1972, when they introduced color television.
- There are four court surfaces : clay, hard, grass, and carpet.
- The longest professional tennis match recorded was 11 hours and 5 minutes, while the shortest lasted only 18 minutes.
Who are some of your favorite tennis players?